avoid、escape、evade、shun、avert 这组动词都含 “避免”、“逃避” 的意思。
avoid “避免”、“躲避”、“逃避”,指事先有准备地避免某事或某行动。需接动名词作宾语。
I try to avoid supermarkets on Saturdays - they're always so busy.
我们早早地走了,希望能避开交通阻塞时段。
Do you think Lukas is avoiding me? I haven't seen him all day.
飞机起飞时一个发动机熄火,差点酿成重大事故。
if marketers are to avoid blunders.
公共汽车司机突然转向以避免撞到骑自行车的人。
We all cautiously avoided mentioning the accident before his grandmother.
escape “逃避”、“躲避”,基本意思是“逃跑”,可引申出“避免”疾病、痛苦、事故、“逃脱”灾难等。需接动名词作宾语。
He stayed in the background to escape from the public attention.
只要你投资股票市场, 你就永远无法避免亏损的可能性。
In my opinion, it is just a wishful desire to escape the order of things.
在他大脑深处,乔尔试图避开这个过程。
Nowadays no one can escape being attracted by advertisements in the streets.
evade “逃避”、“回避”,指有意或无意地避开某事。
It is useless your trying to evade the question.
她在试图逃避应为自己的行为承担的所有责任。
他假装有紧急的事情要处理,试图避开这个尴尬的问题。
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality.
他被指控试图逃避过去五次失败的责任年。
His explanation at the meeting was a smokescreen used to evade the real issues.
他本质上是一个诚实的商人;他不会采取非法手段获取利润或偷税漏税。
shun “避开”、出于某种原因有意地避开某人或某事。
When walking alone during the deep night, you’d better shun dark streets.
他的朋友开始回避他, 理由非常简单的因为他陷入了很大的债务。
After the trial he was shunned by friends and family alike.
研究问题,要避免主观性、片面性和肤浅性。
导游词要避免评论敏感的政治和宗教话题。
However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names.
avert “避免”、“防止”,基本意思“挡开”,常引申出避免、防止灾祸、危险等发生。
There must be immediate action if chaos is to be averted.
需要全球协同努力,以避免一场全球卫生危机。
Efforts are being made to avert war and find a diplomatic solution.
许多交通事故本可以避免的。
为了避免任何可能的灾难, 在台风期间所有海港大桥都停止通行。
We must draw a lesson from the tragedy and ponder how to avert the tragedy of this sort from happening again.
一些政府宣布了旨在避免衰退的一揽子紧急刺激经济方案。